Tax Tip - How to Order a Previous Year’s Tax Return from the IRS

There are many reasons you might need an old tax return. You may need it to file this year’s taxes, apply for a mortgage, or to fill out student loan paperwork. Fortunately, the IRS makes it pretty easy to get an old transcript or return.

  • A tax return transcript shows most line items from your return and any attached forms and schedules filed in previous years though it won’t show any changes made after filing. In most cases, it will have all the information a lender needs.
  • You can request a free transcript for the past three tax years online, over the phone, or by mail. Allow 10 days for phone and online orders and 30 days for mailed requests.
  • You can also get an actual copy of your tax return for the previous six tax years. The fee for each copy is $50 and you can request copies by mail from your local IRS office.

For more information on requesting tax returns and transcripts, visit If you would like a recommendation for a qualified tax professional, don't hesitate to contact our office.

Footnotes, Disclosures & Sources

Neither the named representative nor the named Broker dealer or Investment Advisor gives tax or legal advice. All information is believed to be from reliable sources; however, we make no representation as to its completeness or accuracy. Please consult your financial advisor for further information.

We have not independently verified the information available through the following links. The links are provided to you as a matter of interest. We make no claim as to their accuracy or reliability.

Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice and are not intended as investment advice or to predict future performance.

Tip courtesy of